Volunteer Opportunities with the New York City Urban Debate League
Click here to Volunteer to Judge at a Debate Tournament!
Thank you for your interest in judging. We could not have debate tournaments without you! No debate experience is required. We have judge training at each tournament. Additionally, when you register as a judge you will be directed to a judge resource page with additional judge training materials and videos. And please stay in touch! We will add you to our newsletter, invite to our Volunteers4Debate meetings, special events and more.
- Tournaments are usually held on Saturdays during the school year and Fridays during the Summer Debate Season
- Breakfast and Lunch provided!
- Judge Certification, Judge Awards, Community Service Certification, and other opportunities available
- After the tournament you can complete our Judging Hours Certification Form. Click here.
Many of our schools are starting debate teams for the first time. Many of our new teacher-coaches have limited debate experience. We also have a drop in debate center/debate club at our office every Saturday from 10:00am-12:00pm. So we need your help! There are opportunities to serve as a volunteer assistant coach to a school on weekday afternoors. There are also opportunities on Saturdays to coach debaters at our Debate Center. Click here to complete our Coaching Form. For additional information please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 917-774-6539.
- Saturdays Opportunities: Volunteer to Coach at the NYC Debate Club (Saturdays 10:00am-12:00pm, 25 Broadway, 9th Floor) and/or we have workshops at some of our Saturday Tournaments.
- Assistant Coaching Opportunities at Schools on weekdays after school and/or Saturday Tournaments
- Debate Experience is required
NYCUDL Summer Leaders is a powerful volunteer program for select debaters to develop their leadership skills and share in our mission of providing the best debate opportunities to all students. We are looking for experienced debaters who love this activity and want to share their passion with our students by serving as instructors in one or more of our summer camps. Summer Leaders will have the opportunity to co-lead labs in parliamentary, public forum and policy debate. For additional information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 917-774-6539.
- Weekday summer debate institutes are 1-2 weeks from 9:00am-3:00pm
- Saturday Summer Debate Institute opportunities are available
- Debate experience is required for teaching positions. But there are other positions such as photography/video, student hospitality, and other opportunities.
Coaches must complete the Summer Leaders Recommendation form for students applying for the Summer Leaders program.
Youth Leadership Councils (YLCs) was established through an effort by NYC Service to develop future leaders and create a culture of youth voice in our city. YLCs are groups of trained young people between ages 14-21 and in high school, who work with adult leaders on a defined area of policy, practices and/or advocacy service to impact individuals and communities with a focus on youth. After all, who can be better at creating effective policies for youth than young people themselves?
- Monthly Meetings at our office. Dinner provided. 4:00pm-6:00pm.
- Committee Opportunities in Girls Debate League and other special programs
Parents4Debate was founded to support the mission of the Urban Debate League that ALL children should have the best debate education opportunities. The Parent Committee works to support this mission with meetings, supporting tournaments and debate events, feedback to improve the debate league, hosting special events, volunteering and more! For additional information please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 917-774-6539.
- Monthly Meetings
- Help at Debate Tournaments, Debate Club, Summer Debate Camp, Awards Assemblies and other opportunities throughout the year
- Other Opportunities
The Alumni Committee or “Debaters4Life” was founded to support alumni of the NYC Urban Debate League and provide opportunities for Alumni to stay involved in the debate league by sharing their passion for debate, mentoring, coaching, judging, internships and other opportunities. For additional information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 917-774-6539.
- Monthly meeting opportunities and special events
- Internship, Scholarship, College and Career opportunities
- Staffing opportunities with the urban debate league
This form is to apply and register as a Student Intern during the school year and/or summer for the NYCUDL. Our regular office hours are Monday-Friday 9:30am-5:00pm. Our office is located in downtown Manhattan in the Wall Street area at 25 Broadway, 12th floor. We also have tournaments every Saturday where we also need volunteers in every capacity. Tournaments run from 7:30am-5:00pm or later. Finally, we have drop in debate centers where students receive instruction at various locations around the city as well.
- Share your passion for debate
- Learn about skills and career opportunities in nonprofit management, technology, photography/videography, communications, websites, and more! For additional information please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 917-774-6539.